I’ve tried this type of cake a few times now – it’s so easy to put together and give my kids a yummy treat after dinner! Of course, this does not compete with chocolate cake in the oven, but for a quick after-dinner chocolate fix, it’s pretty great. I found this recipe on Instructables by scoochmaroo.
5 Minute Chocolate Cake in a Mug
4 tablespoons flour (exact)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons whisked egg – 1 egg is too much, 1 egg white is too eggy, 1 yolk is too dense, but 2 tblsp is just right!
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil)
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
splash vanilla or other flavoring – try peppermint or cinnamon
For a fudgier version, omit egg!
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mug and mix.
- Add the egg and combine well. It gets pretty pasty at the point.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Add chocolate chips* and splash of vanilla. Stir well.
- Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000w oven, or 4 minutes in a 700w oven.
- It will start to crown over the top of the mug.
**Update: I have since made this without the egg and no sauce and it was so good. Very fudgy and cakey!**