Do you tend to hang on to things? Maybe your significant other does? I am definitely a cluttered person, but I do try to get rid of things when the time is right. Here is a list of 50 Things to Get Rid of Now so you can start decluttering your life.
50 Things to Get Rid of Now
Some people I know won’t get rid of anything, even 20-year-old college textbooks that are pretty obsolete by now. I think sometimes a list is helpful, because it’s easy to push these items to the back of the closet or dresser “until another time.” But you know what – that “other time” rarely happens. Those old college textbooks moved with us from our old house to the new house and they are now sitting in plastic bags in the outdoor shed.
Deciding what to get rid of is one of the toughest parts of decluttering. It’s natural to develop a certain attachment to your possessions, and it can seem wasteful to give away something you’ve hardly used. Believe it or not, there are some things that really aren’t that difficult to part with. Start with this list of 50 easy items to toss, and kick start your new clutter-free life.
Get Rid of These Things Now!
- Junk mail
- Broken or ugly jewelry
- Old Calendars
- Duplicates of anything
- Nearly empty perfume bottles
- Old makeup
- Outgrown toys or games
- Holey socks
- Boxes from electronics or small appliances
- Unused paint
- Kids’ clothes that no longer fit
- Non-perishable food items you haven’t eaten
- Excess shopping bags
- Outdated holiday ornaments
- Broken laptops or devices you’ve been meaning to fix
- Unused blankets
- Old trophies or memorabilia you no longer value
- That collection of buttons you never sewed back on
- Unnecessary receipts
- Unused or old spices
- Accessories for hobbies you no longer pursue
- Frozen foods past their use by dates
- Stretched-out undergarments
- Vacation souvenirs you never look at
- Purses long out of style
- Instruction manuals for things you no longer own
- Last year’s calendar
- Craft supplies for projects never begun or completed
- Pens that don’t work
- Beauty products that don’t suit you
- Stuff that’s been in your junk drawer forever
- The clutter at the bottom of your purse
- Pantyhose or tights with runs or holes
- Gift you never liked in the first place
- Anything you forgot you even had
- Pet supplies from animals that have long passed
- Chipped dishes or cookware
- Home decor that no longer fits your personality
- Earrings without a mate
- Games with missing pieces
- Old magazines
- Books you’ve read once or will likely never read
- Expired medicines
- Electronics chargers without a device
- Excess or mismatched glassware
- Toys from fast-food children’s meals
- Videos you no longer watch (anything VHS not a collector’s item)
- Kitchen gadgets you don’t use (sandwich press, ice cream maker, etc.)
- Scraps of or faded wrapping paper
- Swimwear with snags
Click here to print the list!
See? There are lots of things you can discard or donate easily with little stress. Go give it a try, yourself, and see how your motivation increases when it comes to ditching your old stuff. You’ll be making a dent in that clutter before you know it!
More information on decluttering!
Featured on Thrifty Thursday!