In a woman’s life, menopause is a big life event, and usually occurs after age 45. As I have turned the corner into my cough-40’s-cough, I have been thinking more and more about the onset of menopause and what kinds of Herbal Medicine for Menopause are available. I love learning about Herbal Medicine Remedies and using them when I can over OTC or prescription medications.
Herbal Medicine for Menopause
Menopause is one of the most unpleasant periods in the life of a woman and for those with whom she lives or works. Menopause is the reverse of puberty — you remember how awful THAT was, don’t you? Hormones go all whacky, and the body temperature fluctuates as do moods.
A woman can be cool and happy one minute, and then hot, sweating, and very unhappy the next. It isn’t her fault. She is NOT just being difficult. Her body is doing very strange things that she has no control over.
Doctors, of course, have a bag of tricks to help women endure the miseries of menopause. The problem with most of these remedies, however, is that they have some really weird side effects. And there are some serious concerns about the safety of some of them.
Here’s the good news. Women have been surviving menopause for centuries. Over that time there have been many home remedies developed that can help a woman through this difficult time and that produce no side effects whatsoever.
- Soy: 50 grams of soy protein a day can help reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
Get Soy here.
- St. Johns Wort: Daily doses of 1-2 milligrams can help to relieve mild depression associated with menopause. Get St. John’s Wort here
- Black Cohosh: Daily use of small amounts of Black Cohosh can help reduce the intensity of hot flashes and night sweats. Get Black Cohosh here
- Chasteberry (or Vitex): This herb can help to lessen breast pain and headache as well as improve mood and lessen the feelings of anger. Find Chasteberry here
- Evening Primrose: It’s the perfect fatty acid for humans and might help with hot flashes. Get evening primrose here
- Ginseng: There are many varieties of this herb. It might help some with hot flashes, and it does help improve the sense of well-being. Find Ginseng here
- Dandelion Root: This can help reduce the bloating that is associated with hot flashes or menopause. Get Dandelion Root here