Aquarium and Herb Garden for Your Countertop
Back to the Roots AquaFarm v2
#1 Best Seller in Aquariums
Sale Price: $47.99 & FREE Shipping
- New version now includes silent, submersible water pump and 360° view
- Self-cleaning fish tank that grows food
- Fish waste feeds the plants; Plants clean the water
- Everything you need to get started, including water pump, organic seeds and a discount coupon for a Betta fish
- Designed and manufactured in the USA
What is the AquaFarm?
The AquaFarm v2 combines a 3-gallon fish tank with a vegetable and herb grow bed into one closed-loop system that fits easily on any kitchen counter. The waste from the fish provides nutrients for the plants, and the plants clean the water for the fish!
What Is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics is an ancient sustainable method of farming developed by the Aztecs. It uses 90% less water than traditional farming methods and combines aquaculture (raising aquatic animals) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water).
Scaled down to a table-top system, this is what happens inside the AquaFarm:
- Fish waste, which is toxic to the fish if allowed to accumulate, is pumped through an inner tube in the tank into a grow tray above containing plants.
- The plant roots act as a biofilter where beneficial bacteria break down the harmful ammonia in the waste into nitrites and then finally nitrates which are absorbed as food by the plants.
- The clean water is circulated back into the fish tanks so all you have to do is feed the fish!
What plants can I grow in my AquaFarm?
Organic wheatgrass and basil seeds are included with every AquaFarm. If you’re looking to grow other plants, leafy greens and herbs work best. Other herbs recommended are parsley, cilantro, mint, arugula, mixed greens, and other varieties of basil.
What types of fish can I keep in my AquaFarm?
The AquaFarm v2 is not suitable for fish that are particularly sensitive to fluctuating ammonia and nitrite levels. This is a completely biologically-filtered system, and it does take time for the tank to cycle and become balanced. For this reason, we recommend betta fish, as they are especially hardy. Zebra danios and guppies also work well with the AquaFarm at numbers of two to three per tank. If you decide to keep goldfish, please make sure you have a larger tank to move them to once they outgrow the 3 gallons!