Don’t you just love a filling, hearty salad that’s super easy to prepare? I am normally not a salad person, because it just doesn’t fill me up and sustain my blood sugar high levels. But add some protein like chickpeas and quinoa and I am set! Try this Chickpea and Quinoa Greek Salad for your lunches or light dinner and add it to your healthy recipes rotation!
Chickpea and Quinoa Greek Salad
Vegetarian Chickpea salad with olives, feta, tomatoes, onion, garlic and a light lemon dressing! Add quinoa for more protein or enjoy on it’s own! This is a great salad for summer BBQs and picnics works great as a quick lunch for work.
- For the salad:
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled or cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, bring stock to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa.
- Reduce heat to med low and cover.
- Cook 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool.
- Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Pour onto salad and toss again to well combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as you'd like.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate, or serve immediately.
Salad is best enjoyed within 2-3 days after making.