I love me some chickpeas. Chickpea hummus, chickpea tagine, chickpeas roasted, chickpeas, chickpeas, chickpeas. The way they pop when you put them in your mouth, kind of like an explosion each time you chomp down on one. And let’s not forget how crazy good for you are these amazing beans. When I was nursing, my mother-in-law was always pushing the chickpeas on me, not that she had to work too hard. They are really good for milk production. They have lots of protein (good for a vegetarian meal), great source of fiber, heart healthy and helps stabilize blood sugar. Is this not enough to convince you of the wonder of chickpeas?
Chickpea Vegetable Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves (yes, 4)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 celery stalks, large chunks
- 3 carrots or a handful baby carrots
- 2-3 tomatoes, large chunks
- 1 potato (I didn't have potatoes so I used cauliflower), large chunks
- 6 cups stock
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can or 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- Sauté onion in oil until translucent then add garlic.
- Add spices and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on stovetop 30-45 min until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove vegetables and place in blender or processor and blend until smooth. Return to broth and chickpeas and mix until blended.
- Serve with crusty bread.
I like to use chunky veggies and then purée them at the end, but you can chop the veggies smaller and have it more like a soup rather than stew. This is a great "refrigerator soup" made with leftovers. Also freezes well for a make-ahead meal!
Pampered Chef’s Tamale Round-About Recipe
This is a great, all-inclusive recipe without it being a casserole. Ground beef baked into the cornbread makes for a very different dish and something that will give you leftovers for the week as well. Who doesn’t love Mexican leftovers?
I found this recipe over at Skinny Mom and was very pleasantly
I’ve been using this recipe from Ambika’s Kitchen for awhile now and it’s really the best I’ve ever made, as long as I follow the instructions like using bread flour for proper gluten preparation. I like to have pizza night on Friday’s because it’s super easy to make the dough in the afternoon and then assemble pizzas for baking when ready to eat. Plus, I can use up the veggies in the refrigerator as the kids love veggie pizza! Our favorites are fresh spinach, red peppers, and fresh broccoli.