Ground Beef Casserole with Basmati Rice
Sometimes I really just want a quick and easy ground beef recipe that doesn’t involve cheese. Just beef and rice cooked together in the oven. I adapted this recipe from my sister-in-law who throws food together as she sees fit and it always tastes amazing. It doesn’t hurt that it always has that Moroccan touch, with lots of spices and good things.
The other thing that made this recipe such a cinch to put together is my new 8″ Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with Textured Ceramic Non-Stick Coating. It’s 100-Percent PTFE and PFOA Free and has a cool-looking honeycomb pattern on the bottom. This pan is just the right size to cook just about whatever you want.
Ozeri is one of the world’s first frying pans to achieve non-stick perfection while remaining absolutely free of PTFE, PFOA and other harmful chemicals.
Ozeri Green Earth Non-Stick Frying Pan
Conventional cookware and other ceramic cookware brands achieve their non-stick performance through a coating of PTFE (PolyTetraFluoroEthylene), a synthetic substance that has waxy properties. At very high temperatures, PTFE begins to decompose and release fumes which are documented to be lethal to birds and small pets, and which can be harmful to humans. In addition, traditional pans incorporating PTFE are often manufactured with the aid of PFOA (PerFluoroOctanoic Acid), which the EPA has classified as a ‘persistent pollutant of the environment’.
Some other facts about the Ozeri Green Earth Non-Stick Frying Pan from Amazon:
- Innovative textured pan surface delivers enhanced heat distribution and superior non-stick performance without ever releasing harmful fumes or toxins.
- Features a scratch-resistant 100 percent ceramic coating that is super easy to clean.
- Made out of durable heavy-gauge die-cast aluminum with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals.
- Boasts a comfortable heat-resistant silicon coated handle, and a magnetized induction stove safe base for rapid heat transfer.
Ground Beef Casserole
First of all, when you are cooking using this frying pan, you don’t have to think about using oil or butter. I added the ground beef for this recipe to a dry frying pan and the meat still didn’t stick.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin (generous)
- 1 tsp paprika (generous)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- saltpepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Heat a skillet on medium heat, add a little oil if needed.
- Brown the ground beef and then add the onion and green pepper, cook until tender.
- Meanwhile cook rice according to directions.
- Add spices and tomatoes to beef mixture and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed. Adjust the spices to your taste.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake until bubbly.
Alternately, you can cook the rice in the beef mixture just watch the water content.