I am finally getting some answers regarding my lack of appetite and weight gain for this pregnancy and it feels really great to be eating again! But, I learned some really valuable information about juice therapy and how to make a variety of juice smoothies as a way to cleanse and repair the system to make it more welcoming to other foods. Especially during the third trimester of pregnancy when there is not much room in the tummy, it’s nice to have something liquid that’s also nourishing to keep from weighing down the body. I absolutely love Moroccan food and have learned many things from my inlaws about how to use fruits and veggies for good health.
The following two Moroccan smoothie recipes are from two sites with great resources and recipes!
Moroccan Orange and Peach Juice – Orange and Peach Smoothie Recipe
Courtesy of Christine Benlafquih, Moroccan Food @ About.com Guide
Use fresh or frozen fruit for this popular Moroccan juice and fruit combo. Add the optional yogurt to turn the juice into a refreshing smoothie.
Note the specks in the juice – that’s the peach skin. I don’t bother peeling the fruit since the skin contains nutrients, but do remove any blemished skin.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
4 or 5 large peaches, pitted and sliced (about 2 cups frozen peach slices)
4 cups (1 liter) orange juice
1 cup vanilla or peach flavored yogurt (optional)
sugar, to taste
8 ice cubes (optional)
1. In a blender, process the peaches and about half of the orange juice until smooth. Add the remaining juice, sugar, yogurt and ice and blend again until the ice is well-crushed.
2. Pour into glasses, and serve.
Dried Fruit Smoothies
Recipe courtesy of Cooking with Alia
Prep Time: 15 minutes
3 cups of milk
1/4 cup of raw almonds
1/4 cup of raisins
3 tablespoons of sugar
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Soak the dates and raisins in hot water for 5-10 minutes until they soften. If the dates are moist, there is no need to soak them in water.
- Drain the dates and raisins from the water and let them cool down.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender. Serve the juice cold.