For years I have been learning to use a pressure cooker to make all the Moroccan recipes I learn from my sisters-and mother-in-law and was always hesitant about switching over to a slow cooker. But this Amazing Giveaway for THREE Mother’s Day slow cookers has me thinking that it may actually be a really great thing to just throw everything in the pot in the morning. I could have a yummy, fragrant dish at dinner time without the end-of-day rush. There are so many slow cooker recipes but I really love Moroccan food for it’s natural ingredients and health-improving spices. Oh, there are cans in my cupboard, but they are dwindling, and are mostly for beans in a pinch or soup.
A natural extract made from the distillation of orange blossoms. Orange flower water
is used in Middle Eastern cooking in both savory and sweet foods.
This Moroccan slow cooker recipe for rice pudding was adapted from SimplyStated, a blog from Real Simple.
Slow-Cooker Moroccan Rice Pudding
1/2 cup basmati rice
2 cups almond milk – or milk of choice
1/2 cup water
Splash of Orange Blossom Water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
1/4 cup sugar
- Add rice, milk, water, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the slow cooker.
- Set to high for 2-2 ½ hours or low for 4 hours.
- When ready, mix in raisins and almonds. Divide the rice pudding among four bowls and sprinkle 1 tsp sugar over rice, or to taste.
Moroccan Slow Cooker Pot Roast
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 pound chuck roasts
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2-3 yellow onions, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- In a medium bowl, mix spices and oil and blend together. Coat meat with spices and oil mixture and brown in large pot. Add onions, garlic, broth and meat to slow cooker and pour remaining spice and oil mixture on top.
- Cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours OR automatic with keep warm facility for up to 8 hours.