Have you ever had chocolate zucchini bread? If you have not, you are seriously missing out. I remember when I was in high school a friend made me zucchini bread for my birthday. At the time I thought it was one of those homemade bread recipes that was going to be very bland. Boy was I wrong! It was so good and I was hooked.
Healthy Recipes: Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Ok right, I know what you are going to say. Anything that looks this decadent cannot be healthy, right? Well, I think maybe you are half right. It IS a sweet bread, after all! But it’s all natural without any refined sugar. My kids gobbled this up in one day! I will gladly make this for them again!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Baking Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and flour, mixing until well combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a light smear of chocolate from the melted chips).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack.