So the super bowl is coming up, right? I know, if you asked me when it is, I would be able to tell you. But I am excited for an evening of appetizers, I can tell you that much! These little Italian Roasted Potato Bites are going to be on the menu and probably won’t be any leftover! I love it when I can add to my healthy appetizers index!
Italian Roasted Potato Bites Recipe
When I was a kid, my dad used to do most of the cooking. He was home with me and my brother in the afternoons and was able to make a good dinner for us most days. My mom worked so hard and came home late some nights.
When my dad cooked, he always had the music on. It just made him so happy. I can remember he learned how to make homemade french fries, though they weren’t straight – he cut them in round slices and then fried them. Of course they still weren’t totally healthy but at least they were without all the extra ingredients of bagged fries. Back then we didn’t have organic or all-natural options!
These Italian Roasted Potato Bites remind me so much of my dad’s homemade french fries. They remind me what an amazing dad he was and how much he enjoyed cooking for us and hanging out with us after school. I am so lucky to have had that growing up.
And so now, in my dad’s honor, I will make these potato bites for MY kids on Super Bowl Sunday, the day that they get to have appetizers for dinner and stay up for the halftime show.
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp cilantro
- 3 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 Cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 Cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease pan with light baking spray.
- Cut potatoes widthwise into circles.
- In a large bowl toss the potatoes and olive oil.
- Add seasonings one by one and toss until potatoes are fully coated with seasoning.
- Transfer potatoes to bake dish.
- Add some marinara sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy.
Swap mozzarella cheese for cottage cheese to further reduce caloric intake.