10 Days of Healthier Thanksgiving Recipes – Day #4
I love using flaxseed in my baking because it takes the place of oil and adds a bounty of health benefits. The oil that is used in this pumpkin applesauce spice bread recipe calls for coconut oil, which in itself is healthy! Personally I would add nuts or chocolate chips to give it some texture but not everyone likes it that way.
Check out the other healthy homemade bread ideas on this site!
Pumpkin Applesauce Spice Bread
3 Tablespoons flaxseed, ground
1 / 2 cup water
1- 1 / 2 cups sugar
1 / 2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 / 2 cup coconut oil
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
3 cups flour, whole wheat
1 teaspoon each cinnamon,
1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 / 2 teaspoon baking powder
3 / 4 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, loosely chopped
Oats and Sugar for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together flaxseed and water until thick. Add flax mixture to sugar, applesauce, oil, and pumpkin in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently stir in the walnuts.
- Lightly coat 2 loaf pans with grease or cooking spray.
- Split the mixture into two regular loaf pans. Toss oats or sugar on top to garnish.
- Bake the loaves for about 55 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes in pans before removing to wire cooling rack.
Adapted from http://skinnyms.com/pumpkin-spice-bread-recipe/