Soulmates, Love and Death
My parents lived an amazing love story. They were set up on a blind date by my father’s cousin, who was also my mother’s best friend when she was younger. My mom worked in the women’s section of a department store and one day she spotted my dad lurking in there trying to get a look at her before their date. From the moment they met, they were inseparable. They knew they wanted to be together and my mom was willing to put off a college scholarship to do that. Of course that isn’t something she ever would have allowed me to do if I had been in the that situation but her home life was difficult then.
My parents spent 45 years years together, navigating the ups and downs of life. They went through layoffs, being fired, a house fire, surgeries, death, and illness, but still stayed strong together. Even in the face of my mom’s passing from a brain tumor five months ago, my father refuses to leave their house they shared together because she is still there with him. Theirs is the kind of love that spans lifetimes. They were soulmates in its very definition.
The 10 Elements of a Soulmate
- It’s something inside. Describing how a soulmate makes you feel is difficult.
- Flashbacks. If your partner is your soulmate, chances are he or she has been present in your past lives. Soulmates often choose to come back together during the same lifetime and scope each other out in the big world. You might suddenly and briefly experience flashbacks of your soulmate. You might even feel an odd sense of déjà vu, as if the moment in time has already taken place, perhaps a long time ago, perhaps in a different setting.
- You just get each other. Ever met two people who finsh each other’s sentences?
- You fall in love with his (or her) flaws. No relationship is perfect, and even soulmate relationships will experience ups and downs.
- It’s intense. A soulmate relationship may be more intense than normal relationships, in both good and sometimes bad ways.
- You two against the world. Soulmates often see their relationship as “us against the world.”
- You’re mentally inseparable. Soulmates often have a mental connection similar to twins.
- You feel secure and protected. Regardless of the gender of your partner, he or she should always make you feel secure and protected.
- You can’t imagine your life without him (or her). A soulmate is not someone you can walk away from that easily.
- You look each other in the eye. Soulmates have a tendency to look into each other’s eyes when speaking more often than ordinary couples.
By Dr. Carmen Harra / Author, clinical psychologist and relationship expert
Since my mom passed, I haven’t read many thought-provoking books. It’s been simple mysteries – easy-to-read, get lost in the story kind of books. But Soul Sessions was different. It wasn’t just a story, but an emotional experience because it made me think so much of my parents story. I got it on kindle so I could take it anywhere. I always have my phone with me, so waiting for the kids at school or at the doctor’s office I can just pull it out and read some of the book. One night I just took off alone for coffee and my iphone, reading the book for an hour. We all need alone time, right?
An engaging journey of love and spiritual awakening, Soul Sessions starts in current day Chicago, where Nick Dalton is a troubled yet highly successful Investment Banker with a gorgeous girlfriend and an extravagant lifestyle. Despite all his success, Nick falls into a deep depression after a life altering event. Just as it looks as though Nick’s life might end in suicide, enter Katrina DuMont, a gifted psychologist who is expert in both traditional and new age methods of treatment for depression. Together, using past-life regression techniques, they explore several of Nick’s prior incarnations, where he unwittingly discovers a beautiful woman who repeatedly appears as his lover and soul mate. To potentially reawaken his epic love affair, Nick is compelled to search for her in this lifetime. Thus begins an astonishing story of love and intrigue, where Nick stumbles across inconceivable answers to some of life’s greatest mysteries … and once again finds the course of his life altered.
This was such an incredible read following the death of my mom and during the month of her birthday. We all miss her so much and undoubtedly my dad wonders if he will see her again. Maybe he has seen her already. I do believe I have seen my mom on the couch one night. Crazy, I know. But one thing is for sure is she was taken from us way too early. She was such an amazing woman, a warrior. I miss her every day and feel comforted in the thought that she and my dad will be reunited one day.
Carson Gage has been interested in the mysteries of life and death since the age of seven, when he survived being run over by a speeding car. This experience led him on a journey of discovery for answers to some of life’s biggest questions.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.