Recently I made the decision to try a (mostly) plant-based vegan diet. I say mostly because I just can’t quit cream in my coffee or milk in my oatmeal! One of the first healthy recipes I tried was this Vegan Black Bean Salad which I didn’t think would fly without cheese or sour cream but let me tell you it was SO good. SO filling. And SO healthy.
Super Quick Vegan Black Bean Salad
I’ve always loved beans and vegetables and thought veganism was all about tofu and weird things I didn’t like. But to my surprise, I learned it isn’t ALL about tofu. There are plenty of recipes that can be made vegan without it. Thank goodness for me!
If you need something creamy in this salad to make it a little bit more rich, try adding avocado chunks. I didn’t but it probably would have been so good.
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 very large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 package frozen corn
- ½ Vidalia onion, chopped
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or more to taste
- Add beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and water chestnuts to a bowl (glass looks pretty) and mix. Rinsing the beans well keeps the salad from looking gray.
- Add cilantro, lime, and balsamic vinegar and mix again. Serve alone or with cucumber open-faced sandwiches for a perfect meal.