There are so many Uses of Peppermint Oil, it’s no wonder this oil is a staple in many people’s medicine cabinets. Here are 20 uses of peppermint oil!
So Many Uses of Peppermint Oil
I should note that peppermint essential oil is intense and far more concentrated than other essential oils. It is advised not to use on young children unless part of a blend that is heavily diluted. Also, I advise that you ONLY use an essential oil that is 100% pure.
The following are the most useful benefits of peppermint oil:
- When you have the stomach bug and your abdomen hurts, use a few drops along with lemon oil and a bit of carrier oil, maybe 1 tablespoon, and massage on abdomen. This helped me when I was convinced I needed to go to the emergency room from stomach pains when I was not feeling well last weekend
- Massage a few drops on your temples and back of neck to ease travel discomfort and/or nausea. This also helps when you have head pressure from a headache. I am prone to migraines but if I feel a headache coming on, I can do this and it stops the pain
- You can ease heartburn by adding a drop or peppermint oil to your tea along with a teaspoon of honey. You can also mix 5 drops with a teaspoon of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) and massage onto your upper abdomen
- Cool a high temperature by adding few drops of peppermint mixed with a carrier oil and apply to the torso can reduce body temperature by 3 degrees in minutes. You can also place a few drops of oil on a wet washcloth and apply head to toe to comfort and cool a fevered body
- Cure drowsiness by combining peppermint with a citrus oil such as lemon or orange and apply to the back of the neck. Inhale the oil that is left on your hands
- Reduce extra air in the abdomen by rubbing on the stomach to help get rid of gas and indigestion
- Deter mice by placing cotton balls with peppermint in areas around your home where mice like to congregate. Mice and raccoons do not like peppermint!
- Repel spiders and ants [read more] by placing peppermint oil on a cotton ball or cotton pad and place in areas where you find spiders and ants OR make a peppermint bug spray – add 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil to water in a spray bottle. This also works to get rid of aphids in the garden
- Get rid of ticks by soaking some peppermint oil on a q-tip then dab on the tick. Look for the tick to withdraw its head and then remove it
- Relieve seasonal sniffles with a combination of lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils together with some carrier oil. Rub on the bottoms of the feet, the back of the neck and across the forehead. Then take your hands, cup them over your nose and inhale with deep cleansing breaths. This will bring instant relief.
- Add peppermint oil to a pan or bowl or warm water for a relaxing foot soak
- Add to a diffuser to provide relief from stress and mental exhaustion – peppermint oil is refreshing and uplifting
- Add to a diffuser to freshen stinky or stale air
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil to your regular morning shampoo and conditioner to stimulate the scalp, energize your mind, and wake up
- Spritzing some peppermint oil on your child’s shirt before study time or under her nose for improved concentration and alertness
- Applying some peppermint oil mixed with lavender oil will cool and soothe any itch like a rash or poison ivy
- Clinical research indicates that peppermint contains the compound menthol, which inhibits prostate growths. Also, studies found peppermint protects against radiation-induced DNA damage and cell death
- Peppermint oil is a wonderful natural cleaning agent that will get rid of germs and bacteria
- Sleep issues? Peppermint oil helps activate cold-sensitive receptors in the skin and mucus tissues
- Peppermint oil can act as a muscle relaxant, especially with painful gums, teething or recent dental work
- For aching feet that are super ouchy, massage peppermint oil onto them. Also helps support cartilage and joint function and strained muscles
More posts like 20 Uses of Peppermint Oil
Do You Need Help Living Your Best Life?
Daily, weekly and monthly planners that will help you keep on track! Inspiration for a healthy mind, body and soul with quotes, healthy meals and more!