50 Things to Get Rid of Now
Do you tend to hang on to things? Maybe your significant other does? I am definitely a cluttered person, but I do try to get rid of things when the time is right. Here is a list of 50 Things to Get Rid of Now so you can start decluttering your life.
Some people I know won't get rid of anything, even 20-year-old college textbooks that are pretty obsolete by now. I think sometimes a list is helpful, because it's easy to push these items to the back of the closet or dresser "until another time."
But you know what - that "other time" rarely happens. Those old college textbooks moved with us from our old house to the new house and they are now sitting in plastic bags in the outdoor shed.
Get the decluttering checklist below and get control of your life!
Deciding what to get rid of is one of the toughest parts of decluttering. It's natural to develop a certain attachment to your possessions, and it can seem wasteful to give away something you've hardly used.
Believe it or not, there are some things that really aren't that difficult to part with. Start with this list of 50 easy items to toss, and kick start your new clutter-free life.
Get Rid of These Things Now!
- Junk mail
- Broken or ugly jewelry
- Old Calendars
- Duplicates of anything
- Nearly empty perfume bottles
- Old makeup
- Outgrown toys or games
- Holey socks
- Boxes from electronics or small appliances
- Unused paint
- Kids' clothes that no longer fit
- Non-perishable food items you haven't eaten
- Excess shopping bags
- Outdated holiday ornaments
- Broken laptops or devices you've been meaning to fix
- Unused blankets
- Old trophies or memorabilia you no longer value
- That collection of buttons you never sewed back on
- Unnecessary receipts
- Unused or old spices
- Accessories for hobbies you no longer pursue
- Frozen foods past their use by dates
- Stretched-out undergarments
- Vacation souvenirs you never look at
- Purses long out of style
- Instruction manuals for things you no longer own
- Last year's calendar
- Craft supplies for projects never begun or completed
- Pens that don't work
- Beauty products that don't suit you
- Stuff that's been in your junk drawer forever
- The clutter at the bottom of your purse
- Pantyhose or tights with runs or holes
- Gift you never liked in the first place
- Anything you forgot you even had
- Pet supplies from animals that have long passed
- Chipped dishes or cookware
- Home decor that no longer fits your personality
- Earrings without a mate
- Games with missing pieces
- Old magazines
- Books you've read once or will likely never read
- Expired medicines
- Electronics chargers without a device
- Excess or mismatched glassware
- Toys from fast-food children's meals
- Videos you no longer watch (anything VHS not a collector's item)
- Kitchen gadgets you don't use (sandwich press, ice cream maker, etc.)
- Scraps of or faded wrapping paper
- Swimwear with snags
- See? There are lots of things you can discard or donate easily with little stress. Go give it a try, yourself, and see how your motivation increases when it comes to ditching your old stuff. You'll be making a dent in that clutter before you know it!
Sign up here to get the Decluttering Checklist!
More information on decluttering!
Featured on Thrifty Thursday!
Decluttering is a great thing to do. I love this and do it a least twice a year. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.
This a great list! I'm in a bit of a declutter cycle these days myself.
It's so hot here in summer we do a lot of organizing this time of year when it's too hot to be outside. Great list. Thanks for sharing at the #InspirationSpotlight party @DearCreatives Pinned & shared.
De-cluttering is such an important thing!
Thanks for sharing at #bloggerspotlight
I find decluttering very liberating. I like to walk into a room and look for 2 to 5 items to get rid of. It's a great way to look at schtuff with new eyes. Congrats, you're featured this week at the This Is How We Roll Link Party.
I've been trying to declutter around our house. We had our biggest yard sale ever in April, that helped a,lot. I am hoping to get more stuff together again this summer for one more. We have sooo much stuff, but it's so hard to pare down sometimes!