Often described as nature’s gift to us, essential oils uses include natural remedies for minor ailments, the beautifying of our bodies, and helps to aid in promoting positive emotions. These oils are normally derived from plants using their flowers, stems, barks, roots and even sap. Here are 10 Everyday Essential Oil Uses and Benefits.
Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
The main reasons they are amazing is that they can be found anywhere as they are naturally grown, they can provide a multitude of benefits, AND the use of essential oils dates back to almost a thousand years and is already embedded in our history. Whatever the case may be, there is no doubt that they provide a natural method of healing that can’t always be found in synthetic compounds.
The miracle of essential oils is that no matter what your physical condition may be, you can still receive positive benefits even though it may be something as small as reducing the amount of pain you experience. The effects of essential oils may seem small to non-existent at first, but with time, may snowball into reversing some of the effects of the ailments you have. What if you received a report that your blood pressure lowered on your next trip to the doctor or reduced your thyroid problems like I did?
Before starting any aromatherapy regimen, consult with your doctor or aromatherapy practitioner. Aromatherapy should also not be used as a substitute for any medical treatment.
1. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil has been used for thousands of years and has been known to enhance immunological function, beautify skin, and increase spiritual awareness.
- At first sign of a cold or flu, rub a few drops on the soles of your feet, and repeat 3 or more times a day to support immune system
- Use 1-2 drops of Frankincense oil with Lavender oil on skin tags or growths
- Drop on minor cuts, scrapes, and bruises to reduce redness and discomfort
- Inhale or diffuse to deepen breathing and induce calmness
- Add Frankincense to your moisturizer to highlight your natural beauty and promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin and even skin tones.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is calming and soothing and can be used to balance everyday tension and stress, relax the mind and body, and promote restful sleep. Lavender is one of the most versatile and popular oils and makes a great beginner oil and a must for every home.
- Rub a drop of Lavender oil on the back of your neck to relax into sleep
- Put a drop of Lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite to stop itching & reduce swelling
- Put on cut to stop the bleeding & help heal. On burn to help heal quickly and reduce scarring
- Rub a drop of Lavender oil between your palms and inhale deeply for hay fever
- Add a few drops to lotions, shampoos, and skin care products for a classic aroma and more youthful complexion.
- Unwind in the evening with a calming, Lavender-infused neck or back massage.
- Use Lavender as part of a bedtime routine by rubbing it on the bottoms of your feet or diffusing it next to your bed.
- Add 4 drops of Lavender and 1 cup of Epsom salt to a bath to create a relaxing environment.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a fresh, uplifting aroma that cleanses the air and eliminates odors. Research shows that lemon oil contains antioxidants that help reduce inflammation, fight bacteria and fungi, boost energy levels and ease digestion. It helps to defend the body against harmful pathogens and promotes detoxification through the blood and liver. Read more about Lemon Essential Oil here.
- Use a few drops of Lemon oil to disinfect and shine chrome on fixtures and appliances
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and evenings for relief.
- Add 2-3 drops to water in a spray bottle as cleaner on counters, appliances, utensils, toys, etc.
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil on your hands after using a public bathroom
- Diffuse Lemon to cheer up your mood
- Diffuse it at work or school for a bright aroma that creates a sense of focus and motivation.
- Boost your daily cleaning regimen by adding a few drops to your floor, window, or surface cleaning solutions.
4. Melaleuca Essential Oil (Tea Tree)
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil that comes from steaming the leaves of the Australian tea tree. When used topically, tea tree oil is believed to be antibacterial. Tea tree oil is commonly used to treat acne, athlete’s foot, lice, nail fungus and insect bites. Read more about Tea Tree Oil here.
- Helps heal and soothe sunburns & warts
- Heals skin issues naturally
- Relieves itchiness from rashes & skin tags
- Prevents lice and removes ticks
- Treats psoriasis and other skin conditions
- Relieves asthma or other breathing conditions
- Relieves earaches
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil also may alleviate mental fatigue and boost energy and alertness. The oil promotes a fresh perspective while inspiring creativity and self-confidence. Diffuse Peppermint Essential Oil to uplift the mood, easing tension and overwhelming emotions. Read more about Peppermint Oil here.
- Roll on under nose to increase alertness
- Over stomach & around navel for indigestion
- Use for joint or muscle injury to reduce inflammation (around, but not directly on)
- Bottoms of your feet to reduce fever
- For headache on temples, forehead, over the sinuses & back of neck
- Add to a muscle rub to soothe muscles
- Use in natural cleaning
- Use in a room to purify the air
- Diffuse to promote a fresh perspective
- Diffuse or create a surface spray with water to deter insects and rodents from your home
- Diffuse Peppermint while working or around kids while doing their homework for an environment that is focused and energized.
- Inhale or apply it to your chest before and during a tough workout for a stimulating scent.
- Apply it topically to fatigued areas following physical activity for a cooling sensation.
6. Purify Essential Oil
Purify is a unique blend of natural deodorizers and cleansers, giving you the perfect blend to keep your home clean without worrying about leaving nasty chemicals behind. Naturally clean surfaces, purify the air, eliminate unwanted odors, and keep germs at bay.
- Diffuse to neutralize odors in the house
- Put on a cotton ball & place in the air vents
- Put a drop of Purify oil on insect bites to cleanse and stop the itching.
- Rub a drop of Purify oil on your neck over the area of a sore throat
- Spray several drops of Purify mixed with water on your skin to repel insects.
- Use a few drops pet bedding to repel fleas
- Add a few drops to dryer sheets to give your laundry a bright-smelling boost.
- Place a few drops of Purify on cotton balls and stash them anywhere that can use additional freshness: air vents, drawers, shoes, garbage cans, etc.
- Use Purify in the car with a USB Diffuser to fight lingering food and gym bag odors.
7. Citrus Blend Essential Oil
Citrus oils are well-known for their ability to reduce feelings of stress and boost the mood. You can also use Citrus Blend as a safe and natural cleaner around the home.
- Removes odors; good EO for DIY dish soap and general cleaners
- Citrus scents are very cheerful & have been known to help support good mood
- Boosts Creativity
- Add 1 drop to a glass of water for some extra taste and health benefits
- Dilute Citrus in a 1:1 ratio with your favorite nightly moisturizer and gently massage it onto your face to support the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- Add Citrus to carrier oil for a uplifting foot massage.
Chamomile tea in the evening can help alleviate insomnia and restlessness and the oil from the plant Chamamelum Nobile can also be used in the same ways. It has been found to be enormously effective in alleviating PMS symptoms and other discomforts associated with menstruation. Chamomile, in any of its forms is incredibly soothing and calming.
- Use Roman Chamomile for skin by adding one to two drops of the oil in a daily moisturizer.
- Add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner for healthy-looking hair.
- Apply Roman Chamomile oil to the bottoms of your feet during your bedtime routine to soothe and calm your body and mind.
- You can also diffuse the oil in your bedroom to help create a soothing atmosphere at the end of a long day.
9. Ylang Ylang
Ylang Ylang is a wonderful oil with a great variety of uses. Use Ylang Ylang to relieve everyday tension and stress, stimulate and balance circulation. You can even use it to relieve general pain, alleviate symptoms brought on by allergies, calm the skin, combat excess oil, and support healthy hair.
- Rub Ylang Ylang on your wrists and neck to leave a calming, floral fragrance you can enjoy throughout the day.
- Add it to your lotion or a noncomedogenic carrier oil to enjoy its moisturizing properties.
- Mix 1–3 drops with coconut oil for a deep-conditioning hair treatment that will leave hair smelling sweet and floral.
- Add it to a hot bath to create a relaxing atmosphere to help you unwind after a long day.
- Diffuse it to create a calming environment.
- Add a few drops to skin care for amazing moisturizing.
Eucalyptus radiata Essential Oil has a strong fresh, clean, and slightly woody aroma that is considered the most versatile of eucalyptus oils. Eucalyptus can aid in centering and clearing the mind.
- Diffuse or add to blends to repel insects
- Diffuse or apply topically with a carrier oil to inspire deep breathing
- Just a few drops can add a clean fresh scent to DIY cleaning products
- Turn your shower into a spa by putting 5–10 drops of Eucalyptus on a warm, damp washcloth and placing it in the shower, just out of direct contact with the water before showering.
I love Rocky Mountain Oils because of their quality 100% pure essential oils that require no minimum purchase and always gives FREE shipping! Plus they always have specials going on!
Rocky Mountain Oils’ essential oils are verified by a third-party, independent lab. GC/MS tests verify purity and quality of the oils sold so you can look at the bottom of the bottle to find your individual batch code and then input that number into our website to pull up the GC/MS test results.
Rocky Mountain Products can be returned for any reason, even if opened, for up to 90 days. RMO also pays for our customers’ return shipping expenses to make our ordering process completely risk-free.
RMO includes three different icons for recommended use on each bottle for easy reference: Diffuse, Topical Application and Household. So you can look at the bottle and know in what way it’s intended for use.