One of my favorite essential oils is tea tree. There are so many tea tree uses to keep you healthy and toxin-free but today I am going to talk to you about how to use tea tree oil to keep bugs away when you are outside.
Tea Tree Oil Bug Balm Ointment
We all know different ways to trap mosquitos making homemade mosquito traps like this post. But when you are out and about, you aren’t really going to carry around a mosquito trap are you?
My favorite tea tree oil uses include keeping the bugs away, like in this bug balm ointment. It’s SO super easy to make and works just as well as store-bought sprays but without all those chemicals you don’t want to have around your kids. Just one more thing you can make using simple ingredients!
I used these cute little 1.5oz jars because I have so many leftover in my basement. This recipe filled up 12 of them. Next time, however, I want to use these awesome empty lip balm containers that you can get on Amazon here.
Tea Tree Oil Bug Repellent Ointment
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons beeswax
- 30 drops citronella essential oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 25 Lip Balm Empty Container Tubes 5.5ml
- Measure the coconut oil and beeswax into a double boiler, or small pot, over very low heat slowly melt the oils and beeswax (Note: Do NOT include the essential oils at this time).
- Once melted remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the essential oils.
- Pour mixture into several roll-up tubes, glass containers, tins, or lip balm tubes (smaller mason jars work well too)and allow it to cool on the counter overnight.
- Salve will keep for 2-5 years depending on quality of oils used.
TO USE: Dab on skin prior to gardening, working in the yard, hiking, biking, enjoying a sunset or anything that requires being in the great outdoors. Apply generously and as often as needed for protection from biting insects. Can also be used to treat insect bites.
Learn More About Essential Oils
Homemade Bug Balm with Tea Tree Oil
52 Essential Oils Uses and Benefits
Homemade Body Wash with Essential Oils
Homemade Face Scrub with Essential Oils
Homemade Face Mask with Essential Oils
20 Uses of Peppermint Oil
Homemade Cleaning Recipes with Essential Oils
What are Essential Oils
Homemade Spider Repellent with Essential Oils
Get Rid of Cat Smells Naturally
Peppermint Foot Soak Recipe
Smart Ways of Using Aromatherapy Oils at Home
Linking up to Hit Me with Your Best Shot and Good Tips Tuesday