Here’s an amazing old-world Swedish Cardamom Homemade Bread that’s a great bread recipe typically served as coffee table treat with coffee or tea.
This soft, slightly sweet bread is tender and can be pulled apart, bite by bite. This sweet, aromatic pastry usually requires about three hours of preparation. When the dough has risen, it can be braided to make it more decorative and festive.
Homemade bread is so much tastier than store-bought bread, it isn’t laden with preservatives, and it is very inexpensive to make, and doesn’t take all that much time, either. Who knows what is really in that store-bought bread anyway? We all know the government is padding their pockets with money made from genetically-modified ingredients that are just making us sick, hence all the new gluten-free products out now.
For a smaller version of this delicious bread, try this recipe for Swedish cardamom buns.
Some variations call for topping it with chopped walnuts and vanilla icing, or raisins added to the dough.
The first step in making this cardamom homemade bread recipe is to scald milk to 185°F over medium heat. Next, add butter to scalded milk and cool to lukewarm.
Stir yeast into milk and butter. Add 2 ½ cups flour and beat until batter is smooth.
Let stand 30 minutes or until bubble action starts. Then beat in the eggs, sugar, salt, and cardamom. If cardamom is in whole seed form, use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind them.
Blend in approximately 4 cups flour and knead thoroughly. Let rise until double.
After dough has risen, cut it in half and then cut each half into thirds.
Roll each piece until approximately 12″ long ropes and braid the 3 ropes together.
Tuck ends under bread and place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat for other three pieces so you have 2 braided loaves.
Let loaves rise until triple in size. Approximately 1 hour. Then bake and enjoy!
- 6 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 packages yeast or 4 ½ tsp
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cardamom
- Scald milk to 185° F
- Add butter to scalded milk. Cool to lukewarm.
- If cardamom is in whole seed form, grind seeds in spice grinder.
- Stir yeast into milk and butter.
- Add 2 ½ cups flour and beat until batter is smooth.
- Let stand 30 minutes or until bubble action starts.
- Beat in eggs, sugar, salt, and cardamom.
- Blend in approximately 4 cups flour.
- Knead thoroughly. Let rise until double.
- Cut dough in half. Cut each half into thirds.
- Roll each piece until approximately 12” long and braid. Tuck ends under bread and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat for other three pieces so you have 2 braided loaves.
- Let loaves rise until triple in size. Approximately 1 hour.
- Bake bread at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Warm with butter and jam.
- Glaze with powder sugar frosting while warm.
- Use dough as cinnamon rolls.
- Use bread for french toast.
- Use bread for bread pudding.