I love easy healthy recipes that don’t require more than one pot! This delicious Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole is something that I turn to on days that I want to eat something yummy but don’t have the energy to cook. It basically throws itself together and you just have to make sure it doesn’t burn in the oven!
Vegetarian Black Bean Easy Enchilada Casserole
I made this Easy Enchilada Casserole the other day in between getting the kids from the bus stop and taking the youngest to her activities. It’s so easy to throw this together in the sauté pan and then throw it in the oven in between tortillas and cheese in a deep dish pie plate.
I like to strain the zucchini shred just a little bit – leave some liquid in it so it stays moist and adds some liquid with which to simmer the beans and corn and spices.
This vegetable enchilada casserole recipe is perfect for late summer and fall when there is a bounty of zucchini and the weather is a bit cooler that you won’t mind turning on the oven. If you simmer the zucchini just a bit longer it becomes more sauce-like and has less texture for those who don’t enjoy zucchini. You can also choose to shred it more fine.
Benefits of Black Beans
1. They are very high in fiber, folate, protein, and antioxidants, along with numerous other vitamins and minerals. Black beans make a complete protein when paired with brown rice, which makes this Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole dish a very healthy recipe.
2. Black beans help to move food through the stomach to the large intestine because of it’s high protein and fiber content. This means the digestive tract doesn’t have to work as hard. This steady route through the digestive track allows for an even breakdown of food which helps stabilize blood sugar.
3. Black beans have a lot of soluble fiber, which is specifically the type of fiber that has been found very helpful in lowering blood cholesterol levels. Besides soluble firmer, they are also high in folate and magnesium.
4. Black beans contain at least 8 different flavonoids with enormous antioxidant potential and tons of phytochemicals and studies have connected black bean consumption with reduced risk of certain cancers. Recent studies have suggested considerable effectiveness against colon adenoma, a non-cancerous tumor that can progress into colon cancer.
5. The best recipes for pregnant women include black beans because of the high folate content, which can prevent the improper development of the fetus’s brain and spinal cord. The high iron content of black beans is also particularly beneficial to pregnant women.
Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole Recipe
1 cup shredded zucchini, lightly strained
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove minced
3/4 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup black beans rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 cup salsa
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
3 flour tortillas
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream optional (but kinda necessary, am I right?)
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, beans, salt and cumin; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Stir in salsa and cilantro.
- Place a tortilla in the bottom of a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Spread with 2/3 cup vegetable mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, lightly strained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream optional (but kinda necessary, am I right?)
In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, beans, salt and cumin; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Stir in salsa and cilantro.
Place a tortilla in the bottom of a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Spread with 2/3 cup vegetable mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
The ingredients in this recipe freeze well together, making it a wonderfully easy healthy recipe for a make-ahead freezer meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mueller Austria Multi Blade Mandoline Cheese/Vegetable Slicer
Spring Chef Box Grater, 4-Sided Stainless Steel Grater
Le Creuset Stoneware Pie Pans, 9-Inch, Marine
Pyrex Easy Grab 9.5" Glass Pie Plate (Pack of 3)
T-fal Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick 12 Inch Fry Pan with Lid
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet - 12.5 Inch - Black
Here are some more vegetarian casserole recipes: