Ok I have to admit, being able to mix up the dough and then put it in the slow cooker for 3 hours and have delicious homemade bread for dinner without having to watch it sounds pretty great, does it not? Homemade bread is better for you than store bought bread because there are minimal ingredients and you know exactly what those ingredients actually are. Homemade bread in the slow cooker is a busy moms dream!
Homemade Bread in the Slow Cooker
This homemade bread is a bit different because instead of baking it in a bread pan and having it be a traditional rectangle shape, you are actually baking it in a bowl or…wait for it…a coffee can! Yes way! This is so cool that bread can bake this way!
We didn’t have any coffee cans lying around so I picked up this small 1.5 quart stainless steel mixing bowl that is taller than it is wide, so it’s perfect for baking bread in my slow cooker.
You want to make sure you use something metal and then have a trivet to place underneath it – or some balled up aluminum foil. My son calls it “timmith foil” I have no idea why. Do your kids have funny names for aluminum foil?
Yes, you can bake bread in your slow cooker! It avoids a hot kitchen for one thing, and also uses so much less energy than heating up the large oven for just one loaf. Here’s how to make a 12-serving loaf.
Easy Homemade Bread in the Slow Cooker
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm milk or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- First, you'll need a deep metal bowl or even a 1-lb coffee can that fits into your slow cooker. Grease the bowl well.
- Turn your empty slow cooker on High to preheat (cover on).
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let it sit while you combine the other ingredients (except flour).
- Add all of the first ingredients and add the yeast mixture to a bowl or kitchenaid mixer bowl.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic - about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in the greased metal bowl or coffee can, and cover loosely with aluminum foil. In your preheated slow cooker, pour 1/2 cup of water and place a trivet in the bottom. If you don't have a trivet, you can use crumbled foil.
- Set the bowl or can on the trivet or foil, cover the slow cooker, and bake for 3 hours. The top of your bread may or may not brown, but it will taste good!
Replace 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 cup rolled oats; add oats into milk mixture.
This bread is so yummy with garlic butter on it while dinner is cooking. My kids absolutely loved it!