Only a few things are worse than having a headache. It can be very debilitating, preventing you from having your daily work routine. And when this happens, you will want something that could provide quick relief so you can resume your normal activities. Try Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Headaches next time you have pain. It’s one of the best essential oils for health and wellness.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Headaches
Over-the-counter pills often comes with side effects, such as liver and kidney damage. And most of the time, they only mask the pain and do not address the root problem causing the headaches. But what if there could be a way to naturally get rid of a headache without having to take any medication? Fortunately, there is a way, and that is using essential oils.
Essential oils are not only effective in relieving headaches and migraine attacks but will also help combat the headache trigger. In this post, we will be talking about one of the most effective essential oils, eucalyptus, and how it can help relieve headaches. Read on to see all that we have for you in the post.
Why Essential Oils Instead Of Pills?
It is simple. While over-the-counter pain killers like aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen help relieve headache pain, essential oil takes it a step further by also helping to address the underlying cause of the problem. And they do that naturally. That makes them a better alternative when it comes to relieving the pain from different forms of headaches.
Essential oils are also great for reducing stress, which is one of the major causes of headaches and migraines. They also help clear blocked sinuses, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow. All these works together to give you long-lasting relief from headaches and migraines instead of temporarily dulling the pain.
Furthermore, modern medicines come with their side effects – and this can be scary sometimes. Misuse of over-the-counter medication kills more than 16,000 people every year and hospitalizes about 100,000. In fact, most people that suffer from migraines don’t seek other treatment options other than over-the-counter medications.
Some of them even get so desperate that they unintentionally ‘overdose’ on painkillers, resulting in a continuous cycle of rebound headaches.
Because of these reasons, it is only wise to consider the natural healing potentials of essential oils to fight headaches and migraine attacks.
Eucalyptus Oil Can Help
Eucalyptus trees are well known for their medicinal properties. The essential oil made from the tree’s leaves is popular for being an effective remedy to a host of conditions, including headaches.
If your headache is usually triggered by allergies or infections, it is called sinus or tension headache and eucalyptus essential oil might just be what you need to get rid of it once and for all.
As an expectorant, eucalyptus essential oil helps open the nasal and respiratory passages by ridding the body of toxins and harmful microorganisms. The fragrance produced by the essential oil, when inhaled, loosens mucus in the airway and clears any form of congestion, hence helping to relieve tension headaches caused by sinus pressure and respiratory inflammation.
A 2011 study conducted to test the anti-inflammatory effects of eucalyptus showed that eucalyptus oil has a significant effect on people with respiratory conditions. The study confirmed the oil’s antimicrobial properties, which contribute significantly to its ability to improve sinus pressure caused by microorganisms and inflammatory response.
In the study, participants who inhaled eucalyptus essential oil observed an immediate and significant improvement in symptoms of upper respiratory conditions. That means the essential oil does not only improves headaches caused by sinus pressure but also clears and supports the respiratory system.
Eucalyptus essential oil is a natural remedy they need to consider over pills for people who suffer from seasonal allergies and respiratory issues, which result in sinus pressure and headaches.
How to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Headaches
There are a couple of ways to use eucalyptus essential oil to treat a headache. Some of them include:
- Diluting and applying it to the forehead: Get a carrier oil, such as coconut oil to dilute the oil. Then massage the oil into your forehead or temples to clear the sinuses and bring relief for headaches.
- Inhaling the fragrance from the oil: Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water and deeply inhale the vapor.
- Add it to your bath: You can also add a few drops of the essential oil to a hot bath to help clear the sinuses
- Using a compress: Soak a towel in cold water and add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. You can then apply the compress to your forehead or neck for headache relief.
What Other Essential Oils Can You Mix with Eucalyptus for Headache Relief?
You can blend eucalyptus essential oil with some other oils that are also great for headaches, such as peppermint or lavender oil. A study published in Cephalalgia, an international journal of headache, found that a combination of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil can provide relaxing effects for both the muscles and the mind, which could help soothe headaches.
You can also blend Lavender oil with eucalyptus oil to produce a powerful oil blend for headache relief. Just add two drops of lavender oil and one drop of eucalyptus oil to a carrier oil and apply to your temples and back of the neck to experience the magic.
Does the Oil Have Other Benefits?
Eucalyptus oil is not only great for relieving headaches and migraines. In fact, the oil has long been used in alternative medicine as a naturally-derived remedy for respiratory issues like asthma, coughs, and bronchitis.
Eucalyptus essential oil can also help control blood sugar, freshen breath, and ease joint pain. One study also found that inhaling eucalyptus oil can significantly help relieve pain and lower blood pressure. There are just so many benefits to enjoy from this magical oil.
For decades, people have used essential oil, both for relaxation and treating a variety of ailments. They are a great natural alternative to painkillers, especially for relieving headaches. Using eucalyptus oil for headaches will help address the root cause of the headache instead of just trying to dull the pain like most over-the-counter pills do.
We have highlighted different ways to use the oil and some other essential oils you can add to make a perfect blend for any form of headache. So don’t let headaches disrupt your day again, get eucalyptus oil to rid it right away.
More Information about Headaches
- Ben-Arye, E., Dudai, N., Eini, A., Torem, M., Schiff, E., & Rakover, Y. (2011). Treatment of upper respiratory tract infections in primary care: a randomized study using aromatic herbs. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM, 2011, 690346. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/690346
- Göbel, H., Schmidt, G., & Soyka, D. (1994). Effect of peppermint and eucalyptus oil preparations on neurophysiological and experimental algesimetric headache parameters. Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache, 14(3), 228–182. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1994.014003228.x
- Yang Suk Jun, Purum Kang, Sun Seek Min, Jeong-Min Lee, Hyo-Keun Kim, Geun Hee Seol, “Effect of Eucalyptus Oil Inhalation on Pain and Inflammatory Responses after Total Knee Replacement: A Randomized Clinical Trial”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, Article ID 502727, 7 pages, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/502727