I am not a soup person. Not to get too personal but I have texture issues, so rarely do I eat a soup that is not puréed. But this Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup is one of those healthy recipes that I am really glad I found because it’s a winner!
Healthy Recipes: Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Anytime I can get my family to agree to Mexican food I am a happy girl. I was amazed at how much my kids liked this soup. They liked it the first night and the next night they requested it again!
I was looking for easy freezer meals that I could cook and put in my dad’s freezer. After I tasted this soup, I decided I wanted some for myself so I just put half of it in his refrigerator for a few meals.
This soup mixes up sooooo fast! The best part about it is the hidden refried beans which becomes part of the broth. I’m excited to get some extra protein into both my kids AND my dad! If I had one thing I would add next time, that would be fresh cilantro. Ain’t nothin’ that beats fresh-picked cilantro.
Part of the reason this healthy vegetarian tortilla soup was so fast is that most of the ingredients come from cans. Now, you need to make sure you check what is in these cans. I like to use vegetarian refried beans because there are no extra ingredients. I also use organic vegetable broth and make sure the beans are thoroughly washed and drained before adding to the soup.
Oh – I cooked up the rice separately so I could make sure it was just a bit underdone before adding it to the hot soup. If you are using instant rice you could just cook it right in the soup! I love easy and delicious recipes like this made with ingredients I can keep on hand.
Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 32 oz organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 15 oz can vegetarian of fat-free refried beans no extra ingredients
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes juice and all
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 1-2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 tablespoons all-natural taco seasoning mix
- Mix all ingredients together (except toppingand let simmer over low heat for at least 10 minutes but longer is fine. I let it simmer for awhile so the flavors blended together.
- Serve with whatever toppings you like. Done!
- Freezer Meal Directions: To freeze for later, cook the soup fully and cook rice separately just a little bit undercooked. Let it cool, mix soup and rice and then freeze in a BPA-free freezer bag or air-tight container for up to 3 months. Thaws and rewarms easily over low heat on the stove.
Optional Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips
Make sure you check out the other healthy recipes on this site!