I cook a lot of healthy recipes in this house, and this Homemade Cheeseburger Pie is one of the very few ground meat recipes I can find that is not laden with fat and heavy stuff. It actually comes out very hearty, but has very few major ingredients, but lots of spices!
Homemade Cheeseburger Pie
I made my own crust, which is so easy to do and takes mere minutes, especially with a food processor like this one
I used 1 1/4 cups flour and cut 1/3 cup butter into pieces and processed the mixture until crumbly. Then I processed 4-5 tablespoons of cold water into dough until it was thoroughly mixed and smooth. This makes enough for one crust.
I served this with my favorite salad of late – blanched broccoli, tomato, celery, corn and red onion with olive oil and vinegar dressing.
Homemade Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
1 pie shell, frozen or homemade, unbaked
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon steak seasoning or burger seasoning (recipe below)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup plain fine bread crumbs
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or a favorite gourmet mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend or a Cheddar/American blend
sliced tomatoes, optional
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Brown the ground beef with onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, steak or burger seasoning, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs with the mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in chopped dill pickle, if using. Stir into the cooled ground beef mixture.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Pack into the pie shell and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes, if desired, then top with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until cheese is melted and crust is nicely browned.