If you have eczema and are looking for natural eczema treatment at home, this Homemade Oatmeal Lotion for Eczema is so easy and works really well.
Homemade Oatmeal Lotion for Eczema
Have you ever tried to make your own natural skin care products for different ailments? My youngest has eczema and lots of scalp issues which is why I look to lots of home remedies and natural skin care. She actually will use this Homemade Oatmeal Lotion for Eczema – even the original recipe that left a weird feeling on my skin. I think it was the honey. Imagine rubbing honey on your skin and what that would feel like. *shudder*
This homemade lotion is so crazy easy to whip up, even if you don’t have a double boiler, as you will see in the photos below. You can indeed use a double boiler, or put the ingredients in a jar in a pot of water like I did, OR use the microwave.
Is Oatmeal Lotion Good for Eczema?
According to a 2012 study in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, colloidal oatmeal can protect skin and soothe the itching and irritation from eczema. The same study indicates that colloidal oatmeal can also act as a buffer to help maintain skin surface pH.
Can You Use Lotion on Eczema?
When you have eczema or atopic dermatitis, it’s key to use a moisturizer. Dry skin can often make eczema worse. Moisturizers lock in water and create a barrier against things that can irritate your skin.
What are the Best Essential Oils for Eczema?
I like to add essential oils to all of my natural skin care items as they help soothe and heal the skin and irritations. I particularly like to use “Skin Care” essential oil blend when making lotions and creams. It has the following essential oils, all of which are amazing for eczema treatment:
RELATED READING: Natural Eczema Treatment
I love Rocky Mountain Oils because of their quality 100% pure essential oils that require no minimum purchase and always gives FREE shipping! Plus they always have specials going on!
Rocky Mountain Oils’ essential oils are verified by a third-party, independent lab. GC/MS tests verify purity and quality of the oils sold so you can look at the bottom of the bottle to find your individual batch code and then input that number into our website to pull up the GC/MS test results.
Homemade Lotion for Eczema Recipe
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 1 tbsp. vitamin E oil
- 20-30 drops essential oils (I used skin care essential oil)
- Put the water and oats in a bowl or jar. Cover and allow to soak for 12 hours or overnight at room temperature.
2. Drain the oats, reserving the oatmeal water. Press the oats gently with a spatula to get all the oatmeal liquid. Discard the oats. Measure 1/4 cup of oatmeal water. Set aside.
3. In a glass jar, place the olive oil and beeswax. Microwave until melted or heat over a pan with shallow simmering water (making a double boiler). Heat until completely melted.
4. Put the oil mixture in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes.
5. Mix together the oil mixture, the oatmeal water, the vitamin E and the essential oils with a handheld mixer. You can mix it in a bowl or right in the jar. I used the whisk on the handheld mixer but you can also use beaters or an immersion blender. Whip until thickened, lighter in color and well-blended.
6. I used a funnel to get the lotion into the pump container. You can also store in a jar or in a squeeze bottle for lotion.
7. To use, pump out a small amount and rub into skin.