Have you ever made homemade breadcrumbs? When I was a kid, my mom always had a big tupperware bowl on top of the refrigerator with the end of the bread loaf, cut and drying for breadcrumbs. Homemade breadcrumbs are so much better than store bought because you know what is in them. You can add your own seasonings to your liking using your homemade bread that has become too hard to eat.
How to Make Homemade Breadcrumbs
Homemade breadcrumbs are way too easy to make to waste money buying at the store, as well as consuming whatever extra ingredients might be in them. We need to actively cut back on the extra ingredients and chemicals that are in store bought items so that our bodies can be healthy.
- 10 slices favorite bread
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning optional
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Start with bread that is getting stale and put 4 pieces on baking sheet. Alternately you can use bread that's been kept in open container with loose cover and ripped into small pieces.
- Leave in oven until hard and golden brown, about 30 minutes; darker if you prefer. Remove and cool on wire rack.
- Crumble using food processor and process until fine then add spices.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or use a freezer bag and store in freezer for up to 6 months.
Here are some recipes that call for homemade breadcrumbs!