Do you find you have little white flakes no matter what kind of dandruff shampoo you use? If you are not using a shampoo with tea tree oil for dandruff, chances are those flakes will be stubborn. If your scalp produces too much oil, your skin cells can stick together and give you more of those white flakes. I like to use tea tree oil for dandruff as it relieves the itchiness as well as the flakes. Read about more tea tree uses here!
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
The best remedy to relieve from all scalp problems is tea tree oil. It is one of the best essential oils for dandruff – it has the incredible properties that keep all the scalp problems at bay. Tea tree oil for dandruff acts as anti-fungal that kills the bacteria causing the over production of the skin cells which creates white flakes called dandruff. When applied on scalp, it penetrates the hair follicles, unclogs them and kills microorganisms that trigger dandruff, itchy scalp and irritation.
Is Tea Tree Oil Good for Scalp?
Here are some reasons why tea tree is good:
- It has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat itchy scalp effectively.
- It effectively moisturizes the hair and scalp. So it is one of the best solutions for dry and itchy scalp. It helps to get rid of the dead skin cells and dirt on the scalp thereby creating a favorable environment for healthy hair growth and scalp.
- It is a natural germicide and antiseptic that kills all the germs which causes the scalp and hair problems.
- It unclogs sebum blocking the hair follicles and then clearing up bacterial and fungal infections.
- It also removes the excess oil and other dirt particles to make your hair shiny and healthy.
Tea tree oil is generally considered safe for topical application, but should be diluted first with a carrier oil. It is advised that you check for sensitivity first by performing a skin patch test.
Is Tea Tree Oil Good for Dandruff?
A 2002 study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that when a group of male and female participants used a shampoo with a 5% concentration of tea tree oil over a four-week period, nearly half experienced a significant decline in dandruff. Just 11% of participants in another group treated with a placebo, reported improvement. While the research doesn’t prove that tea tree oil directly causes the hair to grow, it does offer evidence as to how it can help.
Tea tree oil for dandruff effectively moisturizes the hair so that the scalp is no longer dry and itchy, and it also helps to prevent dead skin cells from building up, as well as residues of other haircare products, leading the way to longer, more lustrous locks. At the same time, the tea tree oil can also control excess oil produced in the scalp that can block hair follicles, preventing hair growth.
More Tea Tree Oil Uses
Tea Tree Oil is a versatile essential oil that can be used in many ways. Here are some of my favorites!
- Tea Tree Oil for Fleas
- Tea Tree Oil Benefits
- Tea Tree Uses
- The Best Essential Oil Recipe for Headaches
- 10 Amazing Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil
How Do You Dilute Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff?
Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has lauric Acid which makes it anti-fungal and anti-microbial agent. This helps you treat any type of infection along with tea tree oil which also has anti-microbial properties. If your scalp is itchy with dryness and dandruff then also coconut oil helps as it is an excellent emollient that helps sooth dryness as well as removes itchy flakes.
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
5-8 drops tea tree oil
- Add tea tree oil to the coconut oil.
- Now using your fingers, massage your scalp with this oil mixture.
- Focus on the very dry parts but massage all of your scalp
- Leave it for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Wash off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is one of the best anti-inflammatory oils and thus it helps relieve itchy scalp when used with tea tree oil. The antioxidants in the peppermint oil nourishes and protects your scalp and hair roots. Like tea tree oil, peppermint oil too is anti-septic in nature.
- Combine all the oils
- Massage your scalp with this oil mix
- Leave for about 20-30 minutes
- Wash off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week till you get rid of itchy scalp and dandruff.
Tea Tree Oil and Sulfate Free Shampoo
Sulfate contents in our shampoos are one of the irritants that might lead to an itchy scalp. This method is my preferred way to control my dry, itchy scalp. I use my sulfate free shampoo and add a few drops of peppermint oil and tea tree oil to it in my hand and massage into my scalp. I leave on for a few minutes while showering and then rinse. This is one of the most effective and easiest ways to use tea tree oil on an itchy scalp.
I love Rocky Mountain Oils because of their quality 100% pure essential oils that require no minimum purchase and always gives FREE shipping! Plus they always have specials going on!
Rocky Mountain Oils’ essential oils are verified by a third-party, independent lab. GC/MS tests verify purity and quality of the oils sold so you can look at the bottom of the bottle to find your individual batch code and then input that number into our website to pull up the GC/MS test results.
Rocky Mountain Products can be returned for any reason, even if opened, for up to 90 days. RMO also pays for our customers’ return shipping expenses to make our ordering process completely risk-free.
RMO includes three different icons for recommended use on each bottle for easy reference: Diffuse, Topical Application and Household. So you can look at the bottle and know in what way it’s intended for use.