Are you dealing with an itchy scalp and white flakes and traditional medicines aren’t working? You might try these effective Indian Home Remedies for Dandruff to find relief.
Indian Home Remedies for Dandruff
According to Ayurveda, the skin forms as a result of internal metabolism. Therefore, all the problems of scalp and hair also emerge from the wrong food and lifestyle habits. The wrong metabolism creates a skin that is more vulnerable to external pathogens. And that’s why we must follow healthy food and lifestyle habits before we apply any home remedy or Ayurvedic medicine.
With the right food (and lifestyle), there is no need for any medicine. With the wrong food (and lifestyle), there is no benefit from any medicine.Ayurveda master Vaidya Lolimb Raj
Ayurvedic medicines or home remedies show optimal impact only when the food and lifestyles are proper. Otherwise, they have an insignificant and temporary effect.
So, I believe that you will correct or have already corrected the food and lifestyle habits. Now let’s move on to some incredible and authentic Ayurvedic remedies right from the ancient Sanskrit text –
- Bhallantaka or Marking nut (Semecarpus anacardium) and Gunja or Rosary pea (Abrus precatorius) are two great herbs, highly recommended for dandruff in Ayurveda. They are even helpful to prevent rapid hair fall and itching. Brihati (Solanum indicum) is great blood and skin purifier. All three herbs also have amazing disinfectant and anti-microbial properties.
- Take 5 gm each of Bhallantaka seed powder, Brihati (Solanum indicum), and Gunja seed powder. Make a fine paste by mixing all three ingredients with an appropriate amount of raw honey.
- Vegans can use sesame oil to mix the three herbs. Their excellent detoxifying diet will help to increase the effectiveness of this combination.
- Apply this paste generously on the head and wash off after 20-30 min with normal/warm water.
- Jasmine and Nutgrass combination is also a tried and tested combination for dandruff relief. Take 10 gm each of Nagarmotha or Nutgrass(Cyprus rotundus) and Jasmine leaves powder. You can also use fresh Jasmine leaves paste in the same quantity. Make a fine semi-liquid paste using water. Let the paste soak water for 30 min. Heat 50 ml of sesame oil. Add the paste to hot oil and cook on slow flame till the water evaporates. Strain the oil and apply it on the scalp for rapid dandruff relief.
- Apply warm Mustard oil every night and gently massage for 10-15 min before sleep. Wash off the oil in the morning
- Mix an equal amount of almond, sesame, and Jasmine oil. Warm the mixture and apply on the scalp every night before sleep and wash off in the morning. This combination is esp. helpful for rapid hair fall.
- Make a paste of Parijaat or Night flowering jasmine (Nyctanthes arbor-tristis) leaves (10gm). Add 2 gm of black pepper powder to the paste and apply the mixture on the scalp. You can increase the amount in the same ratio (5:1) for long hair. Wash off with warm water after 30 min. Esp. helpful for itchy scalp.
- Make a paste of 10 gm Chitraka or leadwort (Plumbago zeylanica) with 30 ml water. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes. Heat 50 ml of sesame oil and add the paste. Heat on slow flame and keep stirring till the water evaporates. Strain the oil and gently massage the scalp for dandruff relief
- Soak 50 gm of Triphala powder (available in the market) in 100 ml water overnight. Apply this paste on the scalp in the morning and let it sit for 30 min. Wash off with warm or normal water.
- Make a paste of Bringaraj or False Daisy(Eclipta prostrata) powder in water and soak for 30 min. Apply on the scalp, let it sit for 25-30 min, and wash off using warm or normal water.
- Make a fresh paste of Awla or Indian gooseberry(Phyllanthus emblica) fruit, warm slightly, and apply on the scalp. Let the paste sit for 20-25 min and wash off using warm or normal water.
- Massage scalp with warm sesame oil for 10 min. After that, apply fresh yogurt on the scalp. Yogurt should be at room temperature. Let the yoghurt sit on the scalp for 25-30 min. Wash off using warm or normal water.
For all of the above remedies –
- Avoid using shampoo or any chemical-based product on the scalp for 2-3 days after herbal application.
- Use only natural soapnut or soapnut based herbal shampoos for hair wash.
- Use only Shikakai/ egg white/Henna or herbal conditioners.
- Avoid using unnatural hair treatments like hair straightening, hair coloring, etc.