Our Pups are so special to us we want to make sure their skin is protected and that they are comfortable. This homemade Oatmeal Dog Soap Recipe is so simple and easy to make you can be sure you are bathing your dog with the best protective moisturizers using Natural Dog Care.
Homemade Oatmeal Dog Soap Recipe
Have you ever tried to get your dog in the bath first of all. But then have to spray them with water and then try to get the soap out of the container without them jumping out of the tub? If your pup is anything like mine it’s a little bit like wrangling monkeys. Plus, who needs another plastic container to recycle anyway?
I love being able to make my own soap for my dog with minimal ingredients and soap her down with my hands on her so she can’t get away. I like to think it’s also a good little massage as well which animals need as well as humans.
Shea Butter for Dogs
Shea butter is an amazing ingredient for dogs as well as humans to soften dry, cracked and soothe dry paws, noses, dry patches. Shea butter is safe for dogs to lick, so you can put it anywhere on your pup that needs moisturizing and less itching.
Coconut Oil for Dogs
Coconut oil is used to treat skin conditions in humans as well as animals due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. One study found that coconut oil effectively hydrates the skin of people with xerosis, a condition characterized by dry and itchy skin.
The lauric acid in coconut oil has been shown to keep hair healthier than other fatty acids. It’s even healthy enough to eat and can be fed to dogs with a spoon if your dog will eat it (mine will not).
Goat’s Milk Soap for Dogs
Goat’s milk uses the fatty acids in soap and turns them into a moisturizer which provide a creamy and soft feel and helps with hydration. When commercial soaps remove these fatty acids, they also get rid of the glycerin which creates that dryness in the skin because there is no moisture lock.
Goat’s milk soap is an amazing moisturizer for dogs with dry, itchy skin and are less likely to lick at themselves. If they have an open wound, goat’s milk soap helps prevent infection and inflammation, which can help the dog’s skin heal more quickly.
Oatmeal for Dogs
Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory and protectant properties that help to soothe irritation and itchiness, while also forming a protective barrier that locks moisture in to prevent dryness. Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory and protectant properties that help to soothe irritation and itchiness, while also forming a protective barrier that locks moisture in to prevent dryness.
Easy Oatmeal Dog Soap Bar Recipe
- 1 lb goats milk soap
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1/4 cup crushed oatmeal
- 15 drops chamomile essential oil
- 15 drops cedarwood (repels ticks according to this 2014 study)
- 15 drops lemongrass (repels ticks according to study by the CDC)
- 15 drops lavender (anti-bacterial, calming and soothing)
- 5 drops tea tree oil (We are using 2oz or 60ml so the safe ratio of tea tree oil is 6-12 drops which is 0.5-1.0% dilution.)
- Cut the goat’s milk soap into small cubes and add to a double boiler on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and shea butter to the soap and heat until almost melted and stir until liquid.
- Then add the crushed oatmeal and vitamin E oil and stir gently until blended.
- Mix the essential oils in and pour into molds before the soap becomes too solidified. If it does, simply heat up a bit. You don’t want to add the essential oils in the beginning, however, because adding them immediately to the hot liquid can cause them to lose some of their effectiveness.
- Let the soaps sit in the molds overnight before using and then pop out.
I love Rocky Mountain Oils because of their quality 100% pure essential oils that require no minimum purchase and always gives FREE shipping! Plus they always have specials going on!
Rocky Mountain Oils’ essential oils are verified by a third-party, independent lab. GC/MS tests verify purity and quality of the oils sold so you can look at the bottom of the bottle to find your individual batch code and then input that number into our website to pull up the GC/MS test results.
Rocky Mountain Products can be returned for any reason, even if opened, for up to 90 days. RMO also pays for our customers’ return shipping expenses to make our ordering process completely risk-free.
RMO includes three different icons for recommended use on each bottle for easy reference: Diffuse, Topical Application and Household. So you can look at the bottle and know in what way it’s intended for use.