Holy pumpkin season! It seems everywhere I turn there is pumpkin flavored something or other. But most of those pumpkin mixes for treats and homemade breads are not that healthy. They are not natural and clean most of the time. You really need to read the labels and know what you are buying and putting into your body. That’s why I love this Pumpkin Spice Homemade Bread because not only is it natural and clean, it’s super easy and quick!
Flaxseed is Amazing!
I love using flaxseed in my baking because it takes the place of oil and adds a bounty of health benefits. The oil that is used in this pumpkin applesauce spice bread recipe calls for coconut oil, which in itself is healthy! Personally I would add nuts or chocolate chips to give it some texture but not everyone likes it that way.
Photo credit by Vegan Baking
Benefits of Flaxseed
According to Dr.Axe, these are the best and most important benefits of flaxseed:
- High in Fiber, but Low in Carbs
- Healthy Skin and Hair
- Helps with Weight Loss
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Flaxseeds are Gluten-Free
- Flaxseeds are High in Antioxidants (Lignans)
- Aids in Digestion
- Flax Seeds Helps Prevent Cancer
- High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Helps with Menopausal Symptoms
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
According to Daily Burn, these are the best benefits of pumpkin:
- Feel Fuller – Pumpkin seeds pack about 1.7 grams of dietary fiber per ounce, while mashed pumpkin has only 50 calories per cup and 3 grams of fiber.
- Boost Vision – Lots of vitamin A, which promotes good vision. Vitamin A also helps form and maintain healthy skin, teeth and bones.
- Lower Blood Pressure – Pumpkin seed oil is full of phytoestrogens, which research shows are beneficial for preventing hypertension.
- Sleep Better – Pumpkin seeds are rich in tryptophan which is responsible for helping the body make serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter that helps you relax and unwind.
- Pumpkins are rich in beta-carotene and other antioxidants with cancer protective properties
- Extra Fiber keeps your heart healthy
Pumpkin Spice Homemade Bread
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed ground
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 3 cups flour whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts loosely chopped
- Oats for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together flaxseed and water until thick. Add flax mixture to sugar, applesauce, oil, and pumpkin in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently stir in the walnuts.
- Lightly coat 2 loaf pans with grease or cooking spray.
- Split the mixture into two regular loaf pans. Toss oats or sugar on top to garnish.
- Bake the loaves for about 55 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes in pans before removing to wire cooling rack.
Check out the other healthy homemade bread ideas on this site!