One of my kids’ favorite meals is this turkey burgers recipe. Not hamburgers, but turkey burgers, and I am more than happy to oblige and work it into my healthy recipes. Especially when their side dish of choice is blanched broccoli and baby carrots! I’ve been working hard on growing my herbs in containers outside this summer so I wanted to make sure I took advantage of the fresh harvest. I chose some parsley and rosemary – just enough to flavor the turkey without overwhelming it. You can use dried herbs, but they just aren’t the same.
Do you struggle to find good sources of protein and easy dinners without serving hamburgers all the time? These turkey burgers are so easy to throw together and cook and serve with a side of potatoes and roasted broccoli for a really delicious and kid-friendly weeknight meal!
It’s come to be that fresh herbs are just a staple in our house. Growing herbs indoors is so easy and the health benefits from freshly cut herbs really outweigh the dried ones, unless you you for a fact when they were harvested. If we don’t have fresh herbs at home, we purchase them and prepare them for storage when we arrive home from the grocery store.
Rosemary and Parsley are among the easiest to grow and have so many health benefits! Whether you are growing herbs indoors, outdoors or buy them fresh from the store, make sure to lay them in a colander to allow moisture to dry, then wrap in paper towel and roll up and store in airtight container or bag. Parsley will last up to two weeks with this method!
- 1lb ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 green onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine all ingredients until well blended.
- Put a cooling rack in a large foil-lined baking pan or roasting pan. Spray the rack lightly with olive oil.
- Shape the turkey burgers into medium burgers and arrange on the rack.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until cooked through. Depending on the size of the burgers, this could take from 30 to 45 minutes.
- Alternately, you can sauté on a cast iron pan for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings (tomato, avocado, cheese, lettuce, etc).