Restorative Udvartana Recipe and Benefits
An Udvartana Recipe is an ayurvedic full-body massage with powders that helps clear out toxins that have accumulated in the body. This is one of the best Indian Home Remedies for health and wellness.
What is Udvartan?
Udvartan is an Ayurvedic body massage with a herbal preparation. It is also called Ubtan in colloquial Hindi. It can be done using herbal powder or paste.
Udvartan is an extremely useful Ayurvedic process that helps to deep cleanse the skin. The best thing about Udvartan is that it's an uncomplicated process, unlike Ayurvedic Panchkarma treatment.
Skin cleansing is the fundamental focus of Udvartan but it brings a hoard of other health benefits with it. Let us explore the amazing benefits of Udvartan.
What are the benefits of Udvartan?
There are multiple health benefits of Udvartan as it works on the skin, muscles, circulatory system and peripheral nervous system. Besides, it brings a positive effect on the mind and can helps in several mental disorders.
By generating heat through massage, this treatment melts the excess fat that is accumalated in the body. It improves the blood circulation, rejuvenates the body and improves skin texture.Ayurva Wellness
Here are the main benefits of Udvartan massage:
- Helps to improve blood circulation and strengthens the cardiac muscles and blood vessels.
- Improves flexibility in blood vessels and prevents abnormal clotting or blockages.
- Intensify nutritional supply to the remotest part of the body.
- Helps to relieve aches and pains.
- Improves muscular strength and flexibility.
- Protects the muscles from injury and promotes rapid recovery
- Herbal application of herbs like turmeric (common to most Udvartan preparation) produces an antimicrobial effect and protects from skin disorders.
- Protects the skin from dryness, rashes, marks, scars, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
- Enhances the natural radiance in the skin.
- Builds up nervous strength and prevents numbness, or hypersensitivity in the skin
- Elevates the fat metabolism and prevents abnormal weight gain.
- Brings a deep sense of peace and relaxation.
- Balances kapha and vata dosha (may balance all their dosha depending on the herbal ingredients).
What is an Udvartana recipe?
There can be numerous Udvartan recipes depending on the skin type, body type (Prakriti), and current health condition of the person. Udvartan is a weekly cleansing process in India.
Following the Udvartan recipe is generally used for all body types in normal health conditions. It is a paste that is commonly used in Indian households, especially during festivals and weddings.
General Udvartana Recipe
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Bengal gram powder
- 1 tsp Fine broken wheat (Sooji/Rava)
- 1 tbsp Milk cream/ Oil (coconut oil/olive oil/ sesame oil)
- Milk (coconut/almond milk for vegans) or water: enough to dilute the mixture
Benefits of an Udvartana Massage
Turmeric brings excellent anti-oxidant, antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory effect. It also helps to clear the complexion, brings an even skin tone. It protects the skin from rashes, marks, skin infections and helps the skin to heal. Turmeric helps to balance vata and pitta dosha in the skin.
Bengal Gram Powder
Powdered Bengal gram with its sticky constitution, works to remove microbes, dead skin, dirt, and sweat. It helps to open the skin pores and prevents skin disorders like acne, boils, etc.
Fine Broken Wheat (Sooji/Rava)
Scratching action of broken wheat on the skin helps to remove the dead skin cells and dirt.
Milk or oil brings moisture and prevent dryness, improve skin tone, remove wrinkles, and primarily balance the vata dosha.
Oils in the Udvartan Recipe according to Body Type
Vata Prakrati - mustard oil/sesame oil/police oil/ Jasmine oil (few drops)
Pitta Prakrati - coconut oil/olive oil/sandalwood oil (few drops)
Kapha Prakrati - sesame oil/olive oil/
Essential Oils in the Udvartan Recipe according to Body Type
Vata Prakrati - Essential oils of Orange, Frankincense, Lemon, Cinnamon
Pitta Prakrati - Essential oils of Sandalwood, Rose, Vanilla, Lemongrass
Kapha Prakrati - Essential oils of Jasmine, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Cedar wood, Eucalyptus, Camphor
Read more about the 3 body types in Ayurveda here.
This recommendation is only indicative. Your personal choice and or anything that makes you happy is the best option for you!