Working from home is really a great thing, we get to set our own hours, be our own boss, and finish our work at our pace. However, working remotely can present a unique set of challenges, especially when it comes to maintaining our health. Make sure you keep up with your self care when you are working at home so you don’t get burnt out.
It really doesn’t matter if you were already working from home when coronavirus hit or if you were new to it, because suddenly it was a whole new ballgame. Working remotely when the kids are home and spouses are home and there are no activities or things to do presents an entirely new way of life. There’s no weekly coffee dates with a friend or chatting with other parents during activities.
The overflowing amount of tempting snacks in the kitchen, the lack of social engagement, plus, the desire to get up late and work in our bed can all have a deep impact on our overall wellness.
From my own personal experience, if we don’t eat healthy, make time for some physical activity, and get an adequate amount of sleep then it can really take a toll.
I love using my self care planner to keep track of my daily self care!
Further, this can lead to frequent burnouts which not only harm our health but also decrease our productivity.
So, it’s really important to follow a few things in order to remain fit and efficient while working from home.
Best tips for staying healthy while working from home
1. Set Up a Dedicated Workspace
Ideally, you should use a small room that can accommodate your desk, chair, computer, and other necessary equipment and whose door can be shut to separate work life from home life.
If you can’t get a dedicated area, try to find a niche space that is out of the rest of the household’s way.
Now that you’ve picked the right spot it’s time to make it perfect.
- Set up sufficient lighting to reduce eye strain, you can choose a sunny spot near a window.
- Try to make it as ergonomic as possible by choosing the right chair and table.
- Decorate it – Add a little personality to your workspace. This will make it a pleasant spot to spend time.
2. Create a Proper Schedule
It’s critical to structure your day when working from home, even a loose outline can help you to stay healthy and on track.
Here’s how you can create an effective schedule:
- Clearly define your working hours
- Recognize your biggest distractions and figure out how to eliminate them.
- Set time for household chores and tasks.
- Schedule lunch breaks and short breaks.
- Create an end day ritual that you’ll really enjoy.
3. Include Physical Activity
Excessive sitting can increase the risk of various chronic conditions such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc. – this is just the tip of the iceberg!
Staying in one posture for several hours can adversely affect the muscles of your neck, hip, back, and calves. This can even lead to irreversible damages.
So, it’s really necessary to include some kind of physical activity in your work from home schedule.
Here’s how you can get started with it:
- Do some cardio in the morning before you eat breakfast
- Add movements in your routine. For instance, walk around your house when you are enjoying your short break.
- Consider a standing desk.
- Do some stretching or perform chair yoga.
4. Eat Right
When you work at home, the fridge is all yours and you are free to nibble all day. But, this habit can ruin your overall health and lower your productivity.
Here are some strategies you can use to eat healthy when working remotely:
- Don’t work near the kitchen or don’t keep any unhealthy snacks handy.
- Plan your meal and snack times.
- Don’t starve yourself.
- Focus on eating balanced and wholesome meals.
- Don’t eat junk food.
- Drink plenty of water and don’t consume too much caffeine.
5. Relax After You Finish Your Workday
Avoid going straight to bed after staring at your computer for a long period of time. Give your eyes and mind a rest.
Take some time to chill with your friends, talk with your family or go out for a brisk walk. You can also indulge in activities like yoga and meditation. Just make sure that you don’t spend time scrolling on your smartphone.
Get enough rest – sleep for at least 8 hours.
All these tips will help you to become more productive, strengthen your mind and body, and clear your thoughts. So, go ahead and introduce them to your work from home life to become healthier and happier.
What kind of health problems are you facing or faced as a remote worker? What did you do to overcome them?
More Posts like Working from Home
Life of a Work at Home Mom
5 Smart Parenting Tips for Work at Home Moms