Healthy homemade dog food recipes is actually easier than you may think and there are so many options. Try this Easy and Cheap Dog Food Recipe for an easy and super healthy start to your pup’s day.
Easy and Cheap Dog Food Recipe
Do you sometimes want to give your doggie something different than boring kibble? I know that the kibble we give our dogs is healthy for them but they deserve a something different now and then. And this Homemade Breakfast for Dogs is so stinking easy I want to do it more often.
Last week my husband was traveling, we had a snowstorm, there was no gas in the snowblower and I was home with all 3 kids for days and we had run out of dog food!
I was thinking the dogs might have to resort to eating the cat’s food, but then I’d need dog food AND cat food. You know how tiny the kitty kibble is…
And I was thinking about the leftovers from Thanksgiving. Next time you have a turkey or chicken on the bone, just throw it in the crockpot with some water. You’ll have instant broth and the extra meat will fall off the bones. Even if it’s gamey like Thanksgiving turkey the dogs won’t care!
One homemade breakfast for dogs that I like to make are these Easy Homemade Pancakes for Dogs. You can make them up in large batches and keep in the freezer! These can contain lots of good nutritious ingredients as well.
RELATED READING: Christmas Gift Ideas for Dog Lovers (and their pups)
Since I was making this in the height of a snowstorm, I just looked through my cabinets to find what I could give the dogs. I already had the canned chicken from costco so I threw that in the crockpot, juice and all.
Adding Lentils to dog food
I also added lentils that I soaked for 30 minutes before adding to the crockpot. We eat lentils a lot and add them to soups because of their amazing health benefits!
Lentils for dogs are a great source of iron, fiber, and plant-based protein. Lentil’s low-calorie, high-fiber content helps dogs feel fuller when eating and while keeping blood levels from spiking too sharply after a meal.
Here are some great health benefits of lentils:
- Lower Cholesterol – Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol since it contains high levels of soluble fiber.
- Heart Health – Lentils are also a great source of folate and magnesium, which are big contributors to heart health.
- Digestive Health – Insoluble dietary fiber found in lentils helps prevent constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Easy Homemade Breakfast for Dogs can be cooked on the stove or in a slow cooker and lasts for days.
1 (16-ounce) can chicken or use leftovers
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 (15-ounce) can beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots or baby carrots
1/2 – 1 cup peas, frozen or canned
1/2 cup green lentils
- Stir in ground beef, brown rice, kidney beans, butternut squash, carrots, peas and 4 cups water into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours, stirring as needed.
- Let cool completely.
Note – I used white rice since it’s all I had. White also helps when your dog is having digestive issues especially in puppies.
- 12.5-ounce canned chicken or use leftovers
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots or baby carrots
- 1/2 - 1 cup peas, frozen or canned
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- Stir in chicken, brown rice, beans, carrots, peas, lentils and 4 cups water into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. If cooking on stovetop, add in all ingredients and bring to boil. Simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Let cool completely.
I used white rice since it's all I had. White rice also helps when your dog is having digestive issues especially in puppies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.