Do you struggle with balancing your hormones during your menstrual cycle, pregnancy or menopause? Hormones can wreak havoc on a woman’s body and sometimes we feel at a loss for how to handle it. Medication isn’t always the best choice. Here are 11 Essential Oils for Hormones when you want to try some essential oils and give up the chemicals in medication.
11 Essential Oils for Hormones
Bloating, fatigue, cramps, cravings, and mood swings – most women experience the wide array of PMS symptoms at some point in their lives. Helping balance hormone levels and combatting the physical and mental symptoms that arise during the menstrual cycle, essential oils for hormones provide an affordable, all-natural option to period relief.
I’ve always had issue with my hormones and I’ve had the best luck using essential oils for hormones as they give me the most relief with no side effects. I used to take a medication everyday for my hormones that left me with debilitating migraines and I was in turn prescribed a beta-blocker to combat those headaches and that caused significant weight gain! What a rollercoaster!
This is why I LOVE essential oils for hormones. There are no side effects. No chance of weight gain. Plus you smell wonderful!
Essential Oils for Hormones and Balancing
- Bergamot is a yummy additive to tea, also provides amazing calming effects, helping
lower blood pressure and alleviate stress.
- Chamomile is known for its natural ability to curb irritability and anxiety. Chamomile may also help alleviate cramping due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Clary Sage is considered one of the best essential oils to support period health and hormonal balance by reducing stress hormone levels, aiding in restful sleep, and helping to ease menstrual pain.
- Frankincense is a powerful topical pain reliever. Frankincense can be used to relieve premenstrual cramping and breast tenderness. Frankincense may also help to alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Geranium oil is thought to reduce fluctuations in hormonal levels, which can help to
calm the skin, reduce feelings of fatigue, and balance the mood.
- Ginger has long been used as an effective remedy for nausea and indigestion. When used topically in massages or soaks, ginger essential oil can help to reduce abdominal cramping and decrease anxiety.
- Jasmine has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine for treating pain symptoms – it is a great choice for those seeking relief from cramps, fatigue, and mood swings.
- Lavender is the most versatile essential oil, with anti-inflammatory properties to help improve blood flow and easing cramps and headaches that are sometimes symptoms of PMS. Lavender’s well-known calming effects may help relieve stress, insomnia, and symptoms of depression.
Read more: Healing Benefits of Lavender
- When used topically, Peppermint is an effective method for reducing pain from cramping. When ingested, peppermint can help with the symptoms of bloating and nausea that sometimes accompany PMS. **Never ingest essential oils unless they are 100% therapeutic grade oils.**
Read more: The Best Peppermint Essential Oil Uses
- Thyme supports natural hormonal balance by aiding in the balancing of progesterone
levels, which helps to lower stress and counter sleeplessness and mood swings.
- Ylang-Ylang helps with sleeplessness, reduces anxiety and depressive mood swings,
lowers blood pressure, and its antispasmodic properties reduce cramping.
How to Use Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used in a variety of different ways to unleash a multitude of benefits. Some essential oils may cause skin irritation, so take care when applying essential oils topically to always dilute the oils with a carrier such as coconut or olive oil. To use oils as an aromatherapy agent, use a diffuser or add a few drops to a soaking tub or hot bath. Most essential oils can be taken internally – ingested as teas, tinctures, or added to edibles. Be sure to obtain food grade oils for internal use.
Best Essential Oils for Health and Wellness