It’s not March without having some of this amazing bread baking in the oven! This Irish Soda Bread Recipe is one of the simplest bread recipes with only a handful of ingredients.
Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
This traditional Irish soda bread recipe is made with white or wheat flour and buttermilk and baking powder rather than yeast so you don’t have to worry if you have trouble with yeast or if you’ve run out of it.
for making bread
• Bread too dry & crumbly?
• Dough flat & not rising?
• Is it too time-consuming?
What does soda bread taste like?
The Irish Soda Bread is very mild and tastes sort of like a biscuit. It is best eaten with a meal or with jam and butter with your morning coffee or tea. It’s normally crusty on the outside with a soft interior.
It’s so much faster than other bread recipes, because it doesn’t have yeast yet it retains a texture like yeast breads. Soda bread is leavened with just baking soda so you don’t have to wait a long time for it to rise.
You can make this homemade bread in less than an hour and have warm, freshly baked bread on the dinner table to go with your stew or chicken dish or even moroccan lentils.
Here are some ideas for different things you can mix into your soda bread! I like it plain, but it’s so versatile there are many variations you can make!
- Raisins, dried currants, or golden raisins
- Shredded cheese
- Herbs – chives, rosemary, or thyme
- Roasted garlic or caramelized onions
- Nuts and/or seeds, such as pistachios, walnuts, caraway seeds, or sunflower seeds
What is the history of Irish Soda Bread?
Soda bread became popular back in the days when baking soda became available for use in home kitchens and was relatively inexpensive and had a long shelf life.
Don’t have buttermilk? Make your own with milk and vinegar – it’s a near perfect substitute.
Favorite Irish Soda Bread
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until smooth
Add in raisins and caraway seeds, stirring only until well combined
Pour mixture into a buttered 9 inch square pan
Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean
Serve warm and enjoy!
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk, room temperature
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until smooth
- Add in raisins and caraway seeds, stirring only until well combined
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9 inch square pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
More posts about bread
Ukrainian Babka Cake (Easter Bread)